Friday, July 1, 2011

Return to breathing

Trip 2 = complete. unfortunately. Its funny cause after my first trip I wasn't sure how ready i was to take out another group. I was on the water less than 3 days after my emotionally/physically exhausting first trip and had the thought 'can i do this again?' I don't think i realized just how much that trip had taken out of me until i tried to do it again. The good news? Sun, a fun group that could paddle more than 0.5mph, and some good time with God revitalized me. We only had 1 day of rain this week, very little wind which led to some awesome wave surfing in our canoes (it was such a blast), and the group was such a blast. I had an awesome adult adviser once again (always a wild card), a phenomenal jr staffer (known as a swamper), and 6 fun having, loud kids. One of which who's love language was rough-housing. As the week progressed, we discovered that screaming was our best means of communication (i had to seriously readjust myself after this when I returned to camp). These guys loved to explore, adventure, and give me a hard time (i returned the favour).
Some highlights include: all kinds of wildlife sightings (no moose or bears unfortunately), a monster dinosaur turtle stalking my campers on the shore of one campsite (it was 3 feet long), battling 3-4 foot waves when there was no wind (epic fun), me farting one morning (it was cold and i wanted to heat up my sleeping bag) which caused my adult adviser to wake up and ask me if we were breaking camp to which i explained to him that i farted and he returned to sleeping, my one wild camper wrestling my adult adviser and getting his braces stuck in my advisers sweater, and finally returning to camp covered in war paint (camp fire ash drawn on our faces) screaming like savages.
This really was a great week. I hope to have more like it. Today I'm chilling in town. It was 32*C at camp today with 100% humidity, but here in town it is 20 or so. welcome to the wonder of lake superior.
Enjoy Canada Day friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment