Sunday, November 18, 2012

Learning to be comfortable in a blindfold

We walk by faith, and not by sight.
I hate this. I like seeing. Knowing where I am going, being able to see the path in front of me, knowing I'm not about to fall into a crater full of snakes, acid and Christmas music (it's November people! (sorry...)) helps me remain calm and trusting in God. But life and the Bible tells me its not like this. 4 months of praying for direction in 2011 led to me being told by God that in 11 days I would be joining another YE ministry team. Not exactly advanced notice. Not knowing how I will be able to pay all my bills, where I am supposed to do God's work, whether I will find fulfillment in God's work, and whether I have anything to hope for in life dominate my worries. Pretty grim for someone who has a Father who "withholds no good things" (Psalm 84:11).
But life and the Bible have also taught me to trust God, in a rather legit way. After years of just barely having what I need to pay pills month to month, yet always having enough to pay the bills. Never having a job or ministry that is longer than a year contract, yet always have something next. Car Rental and Airline webpages that stop working when I just needed them to work, followed by an amazing deal the night before. Times of unbearable questions and trouble, followed times of understanding and answers and fulfillment. 
I am learning that trusting God is not something you learn from stories, but learn from reflections on experiences that show it could only have been Him. That trust doesn't come from understanding of how God works, but understanding only that He will work. That happiness does come from having things the way you want them. That my mission in life is not to have what others have, but only what God gives me. That answers to prayer don't usually mean taking the pain away, but being held by God through that. That God is powerful in ways that are surprising to me.
I live in a world where the people around me will fail me, where I more than likely will always have overwhelming debt, where my work will often be frustrating in ways I struggle with handling, and where Christmas music is bound to one day start in October. But this is my Fathers world. Something is coming up next. Bills will get paid. People are worth it despite how they act. I have purpose beyond what I see. God will never stop growing me into a better person. Life will be worth it. I am learning this. I am starting to feel and be able to hold onto something I cannot see or feel.
There was a youth conference here at camp this past weekend, and at the very beginning of there program they showed a video. The message of this video was 'will you let the situations around you effect you, or will you instead effect those situations?' This is my goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment